What requirements need to be met for a Habitat home?
To apply for a Habitat home, a prospective homeowner must meet these requirements:
- Attend a quarterly meeting in January, April, July and October.
- Payment of a $30 non-refundable application fee when the application is submitted. (There is no cost to attend the informational meetings).
- A household income no higher than 60% of the Dane County median income. Income guidelines.
- Ability to pay a $500 down payment on mortgage if selected for the program.
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien Status. Applicants must reside in Dane County for 12 months prior to applying to the program.
- Three years positive and verifiable housing history
- Willing to partner
- Good credit
- Must attend an Informational Meeting to obtain an application; meetings are held three to four times a year.
- All adults in household must pass a criminal background check
What is meant by the criteria that a family must be “willing to partner”? By willing to partner, we mean that a family is willing to complete the 325-375 hours of sweat equity required to work on their home and other Habitat homes, attend workshops, and other community service opportunities. Families are counted on to be a good neighbor, maintain their home, and pay their mortgage on time.